Saturday 27 February 2021

QuizTime (133): What are the four (specially) complaints Umar(r.a) received by people against the Governor of "Hims" & who was He ?

 

QuizTime (133): What are the four (specially) complaints Umar(r.a) received by people against the Governor of "Hims" & who was He ?

 

Ans:  Sa'eed Ibn 'Aamir Al-Jumahi(R.a).


 'Umar Ibn Al-Khattab (r.a) went to Syria to inspect for himself the living conditions of the people. He went to Hims, which was nicknamed "Little Kufah," because its inhabitants, like those of  the original Kufah, were always complaining about their officials and their governors. When he arrived, the citizens came out to pay their respects to him, at which time he asked them whether they like their new governor.

They complained bitterly about a number of things that Sa'eed did, four things in particular. 'Uamar (r.a)  himself narrated: "So I had them confront him, and prayed to Allah that I would not be disappointed in him, for I had great trust in him. I asked them, 'what complaint do you have about your governor?' they answered, 'He does not come and attend to our affairs until late in the morning.' "I asked: 'What have you to say about that, Sa'eed?' he was silent for a moment before answering: 'I never wanted to speak about this, but here it seems that I must. My wife does not have a servant to help her with the family, so I get up early every morning, knead the dough for them, wait a while for it to rise, and bake the bread for them. Then I make my ablutions and go out to the people.'

"So, I asked them what other complaints they had about him, and they said he was never available to be seen at night. I said: 'What have you to say about that, Sa'eed?' he answered: 'I did not wish to make this public either, but I have made daytime for their affairs and the night to spend in worship of Allah".

"I asked what other complaints they had, and they said: 'One day every month, he does not come out to us at all.' I asked Sa'eed the reason for this and he said: 'Commander of the Faithful, I have no servant, and no clothing save that which I am wearing. I wash it by hand once a month, and it takes it a whole day to dry so that I can put it on and go out again.'  When I asked what else they complained of, they said that from time to time he appeared to faint and lose consciousness of his surroundings. When I asked Sa'eed the reason for this he said: 'I witnessed the execution of Khubayb Ibn 'Adiyy (r.a)  when I was still a pagan, and saw how the people of Quraysh cut him to pieces, asking if he wished that Muhammad (r.a)   was in his place. I heard him say he would never wish for himself to be safe and secure with his family, and Muhammad (r.a)  even be pricked by a thorn because of it. Every time I remember that day, and how I did not come forth to aid him, I fear that Allah will never forgive me, and I do faint.'

 Must read the very inspiring and emotional Story of a Sahabhi.

Link: https://www.islamweb.net/en/article/138410/saeed-ibn-aamir-al-jumahi

 

Allah knows the best.

 

By Mohammed Asif Ali. #MohammedAsifAli

Our Page link: https://www.facebook.com/Islam.A.Solution.For.Humanity/

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment